• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dry skin from hand washing -- alternative soaps?

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
I'll admit that I have a bit of an obsession with washing my hands. I am slightly germophobic, and I also really enjoy the feeling of clean skin. Not to mention my love for the ritual of hand washing itself.

As you can guess, this habit is not without its problems. The skin on the backs of my hands, and on my wrists, is chronically dry and irritated. Aside from the obvious solution, namely to reduce frequency of hand washing, I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for soaps (or soap substitutes) that might alleviate this condition?

I'm currently using standard white bar soap.

I also have a strange obsession with washing my hands except I wash my face everytime as well for no apparent and knowledgeable reason at all, I guess it's just really a habbit. :\
Anyway, regular white soap dries the shit out of my face as it dose with TheAppleCores's hands so I'd also like to hear if anyone knows of a a good bar of moisturising soap before I go out and spend a handful on individually testing different bars of soap.

Rm-rf suggested a good product (or so I've heard as I've never used it).

I've made the switch (lol, had the switch given to me :p) to bar soap and love it.

I'm using:
Kirks-Natural-Castile-Soap-Original-639844100081.jpg

The winter will be the real test to see if this soap dries out my skin, but so far so good. :)

Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

Now I've got another question, which I'll go ahead and ask in this preexisting thread:

Lately I think I'm developing allergies to my favorite brand of shampoo AND conditioner (John Frieda). :( I don't actually feel it on my scalp, but after I rinse the shampoo from my hair, the suds trickling down my neck and shoulders start to make my skin feel itchy and irritated. And, the conditioner just worsens things, giving me visible rashes all over my skin.

Problem is, my frizzy hair really does need conditioner -- or else it just becomes a formidable knotted mess. Which is how it's been for the past few days, because I can't stand the skin rashes anymore. :| I've tried other brands in the past, none of them really work, except for John Frieda. Maybe I should just grow dreadlocks.

Lol, either grow dreadlocks or try Nature's Gate hemp-based shampoo and conditioner. Works great on dry/frizzy hair--Even works well on hair that isn't dry/frizzy! I'm gonna stop now before I sound like I'm selling the product. 8) Seriously though, try it out--It's worth the price since you don't have to use as much as normal shampoo.

yeah that castile soap i posted is my all purpose use. dishes, hands, floor, counters, body, antiseptic, whatever. its awesome. tea tree oil is the shit.

most cleaning products are highly toxic. the industry would have you believe you need different cleaning products for every single task. having an all-in-one all natural cleaning product is not so great for profits, but it is a lot better for your body and environment.

^ Yeah, makes intuitive sense.

I hate it when people use toxic cleaning products in a space that I have to work in / live in. I find it incredible that so many people can tolerate breathing noxious cleaning product fumes all day, after using it on their windows / floors / etc. Are they just totally oblivious to the aesthetic of their environment?

Castile for sure. Anything like Dr. Bronner's magic soap should help with your irritation. You can find it at many health food stores such as Whole Foods and also in a few camping stores.

kombucha soap

i have very sensitive skin and eczema on the hands and this never irritates. they also have unscented if you're very sensitive; i use this one on my face.

your dish soap (if you don't use gloves or a dishwasher) could also be drying out your hands, if not more than your hand soap.

buy a basic soap like an olive oil soap, if you prefer a good lather when washing hands buy a ph neutral liquid soap and take half of it out and replce with something like avocado oil, vitamin e, or wheatgerm as long as you do not have any allergies, enough soap to lather up and enough moisturiser without any further side effects. You may also want to take a look at your water intake for a day and see if you are having enough fluids.
failing that get a basic e45 or the old fashioned nivea thick cream, brilliant for protecting your skin :)

If you need something to fix your dry cracked fingers then i can recommend Advantan Fatty Ointment which you can ask your GP for, its prescription and like $6, but you just use a little bit and wear gloves while you sleep and your fingers are better by the morning

I had to use it becuase im a kitchenhand so im washing dishes like 20 hours a week and it really fucks up my hands

Advantan-Ointment-Methylprednisolone-Aceponate-1mg-15g-Tube-3.jpg

^ Why not just wear gloves while washing dishes to prevent your hands from drying out? Too much of a pain taking them on and off? :p

Yeah, I'm looking for more preventative solutions, rather than curative...

The good news is: I've been using the previously recommended tea tree oil castile soap, and NO DRY SKIN! =D Yep, folks: like it says on the bottle, it really is a MAGIC SOAP.

It also smells really nice.

A little goes a long way, too. You just dribble the teeniest bit on your palm, and you can get enough suds to thoroughly cover both hands.

^ Awesome to hear, man! Which soap specifically have you found good results with? I know you said tea tree oil, but which brand?

Glad you found relief, OP. Isn't it funny how soaps that are made with tons of chemicals to moisturize your hands end up doing more harm in the long run? :p